Wednesday, June 16, 2010

DIY compost tummbler

As promised, here is my DIY compost tumbler. As you can see I made a double barrel tumbler. I had gotten 4 barrels to use as rain barrels, but I need to get rail gutters on my house, So I used two of the barrels to construct this set up. I had all the rest of the materials on hand, so it was pretty easy to assemble. I used an aluminium pipe as the turning point and I used banding straps to fasten that to the 4 X 4 posts. I ran cross supports both directions at the bottom of the posts.

This is the finished tumbler. I have had it in operation for about a mouth and have gotten the first load of finished compost. I place kitchen scraps in each barrel and add a couple fork-fulls of horse manure with a little water and spin the whole thing every couple of days. It works pretty well. Alto the load can get to be pretty heavy when the compost gets to the level of the pipe!.
As you can see from this picture, I have the whole set-up near the garden and that is where I stock pile the horse manure, grass and other stuff I put into the mix. And the main thing is I don't have to turn the compost by hand! Just turn the barrels every couple of days! And the price was right! FREE (mostly). So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment