Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Garden started

Again Monday and Tuesdays are my days off and as normal its work around the farm. I finally got the stabilizer arm for the Bush Hog welded and its back on (three trips to town to get it done!). And I did a little work with it, But had other things to do. The worms needed water, bedding and food. And laundry needed doing. The farmer that owns the field next to us decided that it was time to plow and lime the field. So two big tractors with disks ran Thu the field in the morning and then lime trucks ran up and down the field spewing lime dust everywhere.
Tuesday was better. I got all the potatoes planted (Red Pontiac, Yukon Gold, Kennenback and Russet, a few tomatoes plants in too. The garden looks funny with plastic milk bottles in it. I place a milk bottle over each tomato plant to act as a mini-green house and to keep the deer off the young plants. That afternoon I took Marks (city boy) dogs to the vet for a check up and to get nails clipped. Its a tight squeeze in the cap of my truck with a 102 lb black lab and a 60 lb Catahula, so on the way back home I try ed it with them in the bed of the truck (first time for them). Dodger (the lab) barked at every farm animal he saw, but seemed to enjoy the ride.
Today I had to go to the naval hospital and pick up persecutions and I did something I have not done in 15 years, I ate lunch at a navy dinning facility! And I wasn't disappointed, same food they served 15 - 20 years ago. Not real good, but lots of it!
When I left the hospital I had two hours before I had to be at work, So I went by one of my scrounge points and picked a truck load of lumber. I got 8 planks of rough cut (1 3/4" X 8" x 12') and 12 4" X 4" posts. Hope to get a fence up around the garden before the deer figure out whats there.
WE also joined a produce CSA the other day. After what the deer did to the garden last year, we though at least we would get the produce from there. 20 weeks of produce for $400.00. Can't wait for the deliveries to start!!
That's it for now

No comments:

Post a Comment