Saturday, April 10, 2010


My normal schedule at work is second shift (1445 - 2315), but for the past 2 1/2 weeks I have been working 3rd shift (2245 - 0715). One of their guys farther passed and he was gone, So that left them short. I volunteered to fill in. Getting off the time of the morning and having a 1 1/2 hour drive home means I get there around 0845 or so. Then I have to take care of the dogs and cats, Get work stuff put away and change to go out with the dogs (after they have breakfast). Anyway I have Monday and Tuesday off and Wednesday was my last day on 3rd, But my supervisor asked if I could stay over on first until she could get an ON-CALL guy in. He got here at 0745 and I was able to clock out at 0815. So the 1 1/2 hour drive was still ahead of me, but I had to stop at the credit union (0930). So I got home about 1115 and after the dogs/cats, made it to bed 1145. Wouldn't you know it, couldn't sleep and I had to be back at work at 1445. Got up, showered, packed a lunch, hit the road and did another 8 hours. Not bad, 17 hours of work in 24 (the thing that sucks is the only one of those hours was overtime). Wasn't able to check on the worms at all yesterday.
But after 8 hours of sleep, I went out this morning to see how they were doing. Of course, When I opened the lid there wasn't a worm to be see. But after digging around a little, I found a lot and could see that they have been enjoying their new home. They have consumed most of the coffee grounds and all of the coffee filters (there were 5 - 6 of them in there on Saturday!). I think the moisture is in pretty good shape, but I am concerned with the PH, so tomorrow I will add crushed egg shells to the pit. Other then that, all seems to be OK.
The pit is a bottomless wooden box, 3' x 7 ' x 13". I also dug out about a foot of dirt from the box, covered the bottom with 3 - 4 inches of straw, 1/2 " of horse manure. The worms have been in a tote in my utility room and I placed them into the pit and they burrowed into the bedding to get out of the sun. Covered them with another layer of bedding, closed the lid and hopefully they are doing their WORMY thing and have lots of kids.!!!
I guess that's it for now. Talk to you latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment