Saturday, May 22, 2010

CSA and Bela the killer!

Hey everyone,
We got our first CSA share yesterday. I was not expecting it until next week, But they called Terri and told her it was ready and I picked it up on my way to work.
What did we get?. Head of cabbage, a bunch of radishes, 4 or 5 lbs of new red potatoes and 5 or 6 lbs of summer squash and about 1 lbs of strawberries.
Not bad for the first bag. They use a green canvased tote bag for each share and I will have to keep taking it back and get a full one each week.
I cooked some of the summer squash for dinner tonight (Grilled steaks, scalloped potatoes, broccoli with cheese and the squash with onions). And Terri said that the squash was really sweet, almost like a desert.
If your wondering why we joined a CSA when we have a garden out back of the house? Well we also have DEER out back of the house. They killed our garden last year! What they did not eat, they just tore up. So the CSA is a way for us to get all the garden produce we like and some that we wouldn't grow for ourselves. So its all good and the bag will only get fuller as the growing season rolls along.
We had an incident at the farm this morning that had both Terri and I feeling rather sad. When I get home from work, I always take my two dogs out for a walk. After being in the house all night, They can do their thing. Bela is a runner and if she is not on a leash, she heads for the horizon. Well Terri was out front of her house and we went over to see what was on the agenda for the day. Ellie and Daisy got into Terri's flower bed out front. They seemed very interested in a dead lantana and when I called them off, Bala went to take a look. The next thing I know is she sticks her head under the lantana and I hear a scream (If you have ever heard this scream, you never forget it!)and see a baby rabbit hanging from Bela's mouth. And before I could get her mouth prayed open, she had so baldy mangled the bunny that I had to finish it off and dispose of it. But Bela went right back to the same spot and stuck her nose back under the lantana. I pulled her back and looked where she had been and saw two more little bunnies. I know what your thinking. Rabbits can help the deer eat the garden and they breed like......Well Rabbits!!!!! But they were babies and they did not deserve to be eaten by Bela! I hope to have babies of all kinds on the farm some day and she has to learn that they are not food. And this I fear is going to be a hard lesson for her to learn!
We kept checking on the babies all day and latter in the afternoon they disappeared. I hope mommy bunny came to get her last two babies and take them somewhere safe!
I know that life and death are part of the farm, but I don't have to like it!
Talk to you latter.
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment